Head of Visitor Experience - VR/23631
TMM are exclusively supporting Braemar Highland Games Centre with the key appointment of Head Of Visitor Experience. This role is a permanent opportunity and will be based onsite in Braemar. A key aspect of this role is to continue to promote and maintain the culture and heritage of the BRHC through the promotion of learning of traditional highland sport, music and development of visitor attractions both within and out-with the centre. Get in touch with Emma Rutherford on 01224 327681 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential chat. Full job description can be found below.
About Braemar Highland Games Visitors Centre
The Centre operates under the auspices of the Braemar Royal Highland Charity (BRHC). The vision for the operation of the Centre is detailed below:
- Through operating the Centre profitably, ensure financial stability of the Charity including securing of finance in collaboration with stakeholders primarily the Princes Foundation to support the future development of the HGVC Project.
- To ensure legislative compliance in relation to applicable HSE requirements, providing a safe facility accessible to all.
- To further develop communication and IT provision to enable effective engagement with members, stakeholders and the public.
- To promote the Centre as a multi-purpose facility with a target audience of families, tourists and corporate organisations.
The Head of Visitor Experience will report directly to the BHGVC Board, with a single point of contact allocated within the Board, whilst liaising with a number of subgroups and partners including Braemar Royal Highland Society and the Princes Foundation. The role will act as a reporting line for all aspects of the Centre’s operations, including Business Development.
- Ensure the profitable running of the Centre, working to defined KPI’s.
- Oversee all revenue streams of the Centre (catering, exhibition, retail and events), monitor costs and promote sales in order to achieve profitability in all areas.
- Work with and support appointed caterers to deliver the catering provision.
- Ensure the smooth running of events, including ‘out of hours’ exclusive-use events.
- Develop the human resource (and/or contractors) necessary to deliver on the various revenue streams. This will include recruiting and over-seeing a bank of volunteers.
- Develop and deliver a successful visitor experience in all areas and aspects of the Centre’s activities.
- Support for marketing and social media posting and replies.
- Support for the Sales function, including show rounds for agents, tour operators and prospective bookers, as well as participating in relevant trade fairs.
- Management of customer feedback and helping to secure repeat business.
- Co-ordinate the finer detail of day to day operations, including cleaning, orders, waste, opening, maintenance and security.
- Take responsibility for the day to day financial management of the Centre.
- HSE delivery – recording, risk assessing and delivery of HSE Manual requirements.
- Liaise with the many and varied stakeholders.
A proactive, creative and collaborative approach will be necessary to be successful in this role. We are open to the development of any aspect of the Centre’s facilities that meet with our overall objectives and that can increase profitability. To that extent, the boundaries of this role are broad and limited only by the successful candidate’s abilities.
We are a small team dealing with a wide range of issues at any one time so we value a flexible approach to work, ability to multi-task, and a willingness to work co-operatively with people from a wide range of backgrounds. Whilst we are not expecting specific knowledge, applicants should be interested in issues relating to the Culture and Heritage of Scottish Highland Gatherings.
Required skills and experience
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience of running and developing a successful and profitable visitor centre operation.
- Such experience will include, but not be limited to:
- developing and running a retail offering;
- overseeing a successful café facility;
- developing and running an exhibition facility;
- developing and delivering an event management service – including event planning, event safety management, building and maintaining a bank of preferred suppliers to facilitate the successful delivery of events.
- Creative and innovative approach to work with a proven and collaborative management style. An ability to develop strategic partnerships/relationships with other relevant organisations, to mutual benefit.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people and organisations at all levels.
Hours of work: To be agreed with applicant, however expected a flexible working approach will be essential. The main summer season is likely to be when greatest revenues can be achieved and that will be reflected in the working hours required over that period of the year. This will include weekend working.
Location: Braemar Highland Games Visitors Centre. Some home working may be possible.
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team