Senior Mechanical Engineer - Turbomachinery Specialist - VR/21884
Currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer - Turbomachinery Specialist on a contract basis for an Oil & Gas Operator based in Westhill, Aberdeenshire. The contract will initially last until the end of November 2020, however, it is a core position, therefore the contract will be eligible for annual renewal. The company is only considering PAYE contractors for this particular position.
Reporting to the Maintenance & Inspection Lead, the Senior Mechanical Engineer – Turbomachinery Specialist will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
- Supporting sites by providing specialist technical / engineering advice and expertise in rotating machines, and turbomachinery in particular, in a timely manner:
- Monitoring, on a daily basis, all main equipment, using all available data.
- Undertaking in-depth analysis / studies of problems, including the root cause analysis approach when necessary. Investigating more complex problems by participating in multi-discipline teams / projects, in conjunction with other operations personnel or Technology Department.
- Identifying and proposing effective short-term / longer-term solutions and / or options to site / offshore personnel on the operation and maintenance of plant / equipment.
- Contributing to the optimisation of maintenance, inspection and operation strategies of plant / equipment, to ensure that all plant and equipment meets verification and compliance requirements:
- Identifying the efficiency of condition-based maintenance programme and proposing / managing its implementation in replacement of systematic maintenance (e.g. vibration and process parameters monitoring, oil analysis, use of NDT technologies, etc.).
- Carrying out routine gap analysis between company current practices and their discipline approved codes of practice and standards, and assessing requirements for implementation within the company.
- Developing reliabilities studies for turbomachinery, and more generally rotating equipment, by identifying ‘bad actors’, their failure modes, and all types of actions / modifications in operating them, or changing their design to better deal with process conditions.
- Ensuring that maintenance activities related to rotating equipment are appropriately prioritised within operations maintenance plans.
- When required, participating in / contribute to safety studies / HAZOPs, etc.
- Conducting ad-hoc technical surveys on-site / offshore and at vendor / repair locations, providing detailed technical reports, which identify problems and solutions, and ensuring optimum performance from contractors.
- Coaching and contributing to the development of more junior Engineers (including Graduates).
- Developing positive and constructive relationships with contractors and suppliers. Identifying opportunities to improve contractor / supplier performance, reduce costs and improve the quality of services / products supplied.
Experience / Qualifications:
- A Degree qualification in a relevant Engineering discipline is essential.
- Chartered Engineer status, or working towards, is preferred.
- Applicants will be expected to hold the full suite of offshore certification.
- Previous experience in a similar type role, within the oil and gas industry, is essential.
- Applicants will be expected to have previously worked as a Field Service Engineer directly with a turbomachinery-focused company.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in the following areas is essential:
- Troubleshooting and close performance monitoring of turbomachinery (gas turbines, gas compressors and high-pressure centrifugal pumps, such as WI).
- Detailed preparation of overhauling such equipment with no, or minimum, support from specialist vendors.
- Offshore / site experience in rotating equipment engineering, commissioning and maintenance is essential.
- Theoretical knowledge of gas turbines is essential.
- Experience with vibration monitoring and root cause analysis is preferred.
- Applicants will be expected to possess a sound knowledge of offshore plant and equipment, as well as maintenance systems.
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team