Technical Adviser – Electrician/Incorporated Engineer - VR/23885
TMM Recruitment are assisting our client with the recruitment of a Technical Adviser. The ideal candidate will be an Approved Electrician who has perhaps progressed their career onto becoming an Incorporated Engineer.
The Technical Adviser will be based at home but is required to travel throughout Scotland (Ayrshire, Dumfries and Galloway) to visit members, prospective members and others. They will also be required to provide training delivery, attend meetings and / or seminars as required therefore attendance at company offices will also be necessary from time to time as required.
The Director of Technical Services, as Line Manager, will assign work to and manage the post holder.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of legislation and best practices.
- The ability to analyse, monitor and understand legislation in order to develop and produce guidance which promotes good practice.
- Through interpersonal skills, the ability to build and maintain good working relationships with Members.
- The ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) effectively using a variety of mediums.
- The ability to deliver training courses to a high standard.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite and database, and in the general use of IT systems and programmes.
To support the Director of Technical Services by providing a high quality and cost-effective support for Members in the area of technical compliance.
- Providing technical assistance and services to Members.
- Providing technical services through the Director of Technical Services
- Assisting Director of Technical Services as required.
- To always act according to the staff’s shared values and customer service standards.
In addition to these functions, employees are required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
Key Responsibility Objectives
Provision of technical assistance and services to members.
- Advising members as required on the resolution of technical enquiries and similar by letter, email, telephone, video call or personal attendance. Providing advice may also extend to prospective members, specifiers, consultants, and others etc.
- Assisting with the update and preparing suite of training courses to ensure they are maintained and up to date with current technical standards.
- Providing a high quality of presentation delivery as technical presenter where required at preferred training venues and also by virtual classroom technology.
- Maintaining and increasing knowledge of relevant technical standards and legislation which may involve attendance at specific training courses and seminars with follow up study.
- Visiting members and carrying out technical inspection of work samples provided, issuing technical reports and follow up as necessary.
- Arranging and carrying out specified inspections of both members’ and non-members work under the terms of the chargeable inspection service.
- Providing on-site technical advice as necessary to enable members to comply with standards and legislation, within the scope of technical inspection service.
- Arranging and carrying out prospective member inspections.
- Assisting in resolving customer / client disputes under the compliance resolution procedure.
Provision of technical services through the Director of Technical Services.
- Providing technical advice on all matters affecting the company and its people.
- Contributing as required, to the technical services function’s input to the Management Committee and Central Board to ensure all issues are fully communicated.
- Participating as required in branch updates and toolbox talks, and providing content for technical update circulars, newsletters and CABLEtalk.
- Providing other Function Directors with technical support and advice as required.
Assisting the Director of Technical Services as required.
- Attending function and other staff meetings and participate in discussion on technical and health and safety issues.
- Visiting specifiers etc., to promote company and its members.
- Participating in committee work of national industry organisations and regulatory and standard bodies as required to maintain knowledge and influence of events. Providing reports for the information of Electrotechnical Committee.
- Identifying implications for members within draft legislation, consultations and regulations relevant to technical health and safety matters in order to inform members and influence process.
- Maintaining a current knowledge of relevant regulations and legislation to assist in other tasks.
- Assisting in the operation and maintenance of the UKAS Quality Assurance accreditation.
To always act according to the staff’s shared values and customer service standards.
Company has adopted a set of values which applies to every member of staff and defines what they regard as the normal behaviour in interactions with colleagues.
- Honesty – Being truthful without any exaggeration.
- Openness – Willingness to listen and share ideas and feelings.
- Consistency – Having stable principles.
- Respect – Treating everyone with dignity, courtesy, equality and fairness.
- Honour – Keeping your word.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- HNC in Electrical Engineering and professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech).
- A minimum experience of 4 years in the electrical industry, including training and safety responsibilities.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Able to communicate with colleagues and Members at all levels of seniority respectfully.
- Able to assimilate and apply practical and detailed technical information.
- Patient, understanding and tactful.
- Able to prepare letters, reports, minutes, technical guidance and training material.
- Able to deliver technical presentations to a high standard using a variety of methods.
- Good telephone manner.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications.
- Full driving licence.
- Good working knowledge of relevant Statutory Regulations and Industry Codes of Practice.
- An up-to-date qualification in BS 7671:2018 (as amended) Requirements for Electrical Installations.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and willing to accept responsibility.
- Willingness to continue professional development by attendance at relevant training courses.
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality.
- SJIB Grade Card – Technician.
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team