Computer Scientist - VR/21521
Currently recruiting for an experienced Computer Scientist on a contract basis for an oil and gas operator based in Westhill, Aberdeenshire. The contract will initially last until the end of November 2020, however, it is anticipated to be a long-term contract position and the company is ideally looking to take on a candidate who is available at short notice.
Working within the Geoscience Research Centre and reporting to the Head of Geophysical Research, the Computer Scientist will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
- Taking a lead role in development of new software projects and maintenance of existing ones. Will involve implementing new ideas generated by GRC researchers, improving existing codes, performing bug fixing when required and coordinating coding activity within the team. Will also include integrating existing external and internal tools, in order to fill gaps within the company’s in-house technology.
- In conjunction with GRC staff, define and delineate GRC programming and system requirements, and design appropriate solutions so that software generated by the GRC satisfies end user requirements.
- In coordination with GRC Team Leaders, contribute to ensuring that developments meet time, quality and performance set targets.
- Responsible for different GRC data management tasks, including Sismage projects, students’ directories, Linux environment & file systems, software development and software license administration.
- Ensuring internal technology transfer through training and assistance to users, written reports or internal presentations.
- Participating in the exchange of ideas and knowledge within a multi-disciplinary geoscience research environment (geology, geophysics, reservoir engineering).
- Participating in the budget management and cost efficiency management for GRC IT needs.
Experience / Qualifications:
- Previous experience in a similar Computer Scientist type role, within the Oil & Gas Industry, is essential.
- Experience in the field of scientific & numerical programming and visualisation (e.g. Fortran90, C/C , Java, Matlab and Python / Julia) is essential.
- Demonstrable experience in advanced numerical methods & optimisation, as well as experience with parallel computing on internal HPC platforms with Unix / Linux operating systems, is essential.
- Knowledge of geoscience disciplines (geophysics, geology and reservoir engineering) is preferred.
- Experience with the following software is desirable: Sismage, Totem, HPC, Gocad and Petrel.
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team