Finance Manager - VR/27171
We are exclusively working with the fantastic team at Aberdeen Foyer in support of their requirement for a Finance Manager. This is a fantastic opportunity, not only to get involved with an amazing local charity but also a diverse and ever progressing role. The ideal candidate will come from a similar background, however they open to reviewing candidates from other industries with a background ensuring sound financial control, reporting and responsibility for the day to day accounting and payroll, strategic reporting, budgeting and compliance with statutory regulations. The successful candidate will ideally possess an accounting qualification and experience along with an interest in designing and developing new systems and procedures, strong working knowledge of excel and ability to analyse and present financial information to a range of stakeholders.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, your role will involve:
Why? The finance function is critical to the effective and efficient use of our resources in achieving our social purpose
What? The Finance Manager ensures sound financial control, reporting and responsibility for both day-to-day accounting and payroll, as well as more strategic reporting, budgeting and compliance with relevant statutory regulations. The role is also responsible for the management of the outsourced IT and health and safety functions and includes the line management of experienced finance and digital team members. Broad responsibilities include general accounting (AP / AR / journals / reconciliations / expenses / VAT returns).
- Producing accurate and timely financial information to assist the Chief Executive, Leadership Team, budget holders and Board of Trustees with effective decision-making including management accounts (P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow forecasts), budget setting and proactive financial management.
- Ensuring robust financial processes and procedures operate effectively and efficiently supporting financial stability and safeguarding the management of the finances.
- Encouraging and displaying innovation to continually improve operational financial procedures appropriate to the organisation maximising appropriate IT and other systems.
- Supporting budget holders and managers in their understanding and interpretation of the management accounts, collaboratively creating reforecasts so senior management have the most up to date financial information available.
- Supporting the continual development of the financial expertise and confidence of managers and staff.
- Overseeing the smooth completion of the annual audit liaising closely with auditors, CEO and Board agreeing audit schedules and preparing financial aspects of the Annual Report.
- Preparing monthly payroll including ensuring salaries and payroll related payments (i.e. tax, pension and other deductions) are paid accurately, reconciled monthly and payments to HMRC are submitted on a timely basis.
- Reviewing quarterly group VAT returns and submit to HMRC.
- Working with insurers on annual basis to ensure correct insurance cover is in place.
- Supporting and contributing to the Foyer's risk register.
- With Leadership Team, producing and maintaining finance, IT and data protection related policies and procedures.
- Leading the management and operation of the Head Office premises to ensure compliance with legal, health and safety, and other requirements.
- Communicating and negotiating with stakeholders on finance, property, and with funders as appropriate.
- Managing the Digital Team and external IT provider and ensuring the availability of the charity’s cloud-based IT systems and other related resources.
- With Chief Executive, managing the outsourced health and safety function ensuring compliance and robust processes and procedures.
- Proactive and organised, with an ability to prioritise and manage competing demands.
- Actively listens; naturally curious, interested in and respectful of people’s stories.
- Works collaboratively, with excellent interpersonal skills, sensitive to cultural communication differences; warm and engaging and able to build trusting relationships.
- Understanding of audiences, ability to identify and connect to different stakeholders.
- Solutions focused approach to ‘making life easier’ with high attention to detail - takes time to reflect on what is working, what isn’t – and why.
- Good judgment and self-awareness; knows when to seek advice and guidance; knows when to challenge and is confident in doing so.
- Honest, compassionate and a sense of humour.
Qualifications & Experience
- Holds a finance or accounting qualification (e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA), and / or relevant equivalent experience.
- Excellent understanding of charity-specific financial management and knowledge of financial regulations, including VAT, and accounting processes in line with SORP.
- Proven ability to manage payroll.
- Experience designing and developing systems, processes and controls within a finance or operations remit to ensure compliance and support ongoing improvement and efficiencies.
- Adept in maximising the use of cloud-based finance systems (ideally including XERO).
- Proficient use of excel (advanced functions) to manipulate data for reporting and processing; able to analyse and present data to a range of stakeholder.
- Well-developed management and interpersonal skills with the ability to successfully mentor and inspire a small team.
- Working knowledge of health and safety.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Appreciation of safeguarding adults and children at risk (training provided).
- A commitment to intersectionality and equality and diversity principles.
TMM Recruitment INDFIN
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team