Senior Legal Counsel - VR/29025
Major, international energy company is looking for an experienced Senior Legal Counsel to join their team based in Aberdeen on a permanent basis.
As part of the legal group, this role independently provides professional legal support and advice to various areas within the business including joint venture negotiations, product transportation agreements, product sales and marketing, procurement of goods and services, acquisitions, and divestments, decommission, disputes and compliance.
Support to teams dealing with several regulators will also be required. The role is primarily focussed on conventional oil and gas although there is also scoped to support on the company’s net zero activities.
The individual will support several business groups within the organisation and be fully integrated within the Legal/Company Secretarial/Supply Chain/Commercial Teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in the protection of legal rights and the identifying legal obligations.
- Monitoring changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and taking appropriate action.
- Liaising with external regulators and advisers, such as external law firms.
- Independently providing professional legal advice in relation to all aspects of the business within the UK. This includes substantial offshore business, so UKCS experience is essential.
- Drafting and negotiating construction tie in agreements, transportation and processing agreements and product offtakes agreements, etc.
- Advising on regulatory compliance issues, including but not limited to production licences under the Petroleum Act and matters involving North Sea transition authority, department for energy security and net zero and the HSE.
- Experience of working with these regulators and understanding their powers and obligations is essential.
- Participating in joint venture negotiations including forming of consortiums for licence bid purposes, drafting of JOA’s and associated documentation.
- Supporting UKCS business development opportunities including confidentiality agreements and bidding arrangements etc.
- Drafting and negotiating sale and purchase agreements, exchange agreements and farm-in/farm-out agreements and operating agreements.
- Liaising with and support to supply chain in relation to procurement for production operations.
- Supporting UK oil and gas marketing arrangements and zero emission and new energy arrangements.
- Supporting UK Legal Team Leader deal with other legal and compliance issues.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- A qualified solicitor, in England and Wales or Scotland, you will have several years post qualification experience required in order to demonstrate your ability to work independently, and your ability to handle a busy and extremely diverse workload.
- Experience working in an in-house energy legal team or looking for a first in-house position with in-house secondment experience in UKCS matters.
- Strong business orientated, providing fast and efficient legal support.
- Demonstrable ability to balance legal risks with business risks and communicate effectively to clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in cross functional teams.
- Strong team player
- Excellent computer skills, Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Ability to prioritise, multi-task and work without supervision.
- Recognize and support the corporate culture and are willing to grow together with the company.
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team