Senior Accountant - VR/28899
A unique staff opportunity to work with a global E&P company providing technical accounting advice to support the UK division. A key element of this role is the development and provision of financial training and education to both finance and non-finance teams. Excellent benefits package and flexibility.
Position of Senior Accountant will report to the Reporting Manager. You will be responsible for providing technical accounting advice to support the UK division. A valued aspect of the role is the development and provision of financial training and education to both finance and non-finance teams.
Main duties and responsibilities
Process Improvement and Communication:
- Proactively identifying gaps in processes or opportunities for improvement. Working with multiple stakeholders to agree and implement an improvement plan.
- Documenting and streamlining processes so they are optimised and support automation where possible, to enable increased focus on value added activities.
Training and Education:
- Education of the business on financial metrics and the impact of decisions taken by the business on financial performance.
- Providing technical updates and training on accounting treatments to the Finance Team.
Accounting Treatment – working closely with head office to ensure alignment:
- Developing a strong understanding of the business activities to assess the appropriate accounting treatment options including all stages of the asset lifecycle and major or non-routine transactions. Supporting the wider Finance and Business Teams providing accounting treatment guidance for project approvals and the work program and budget.
- Preparing accounting position papers, liaising with headquarters to ensure understanding and consistency of treatment across business. Documenting agreements reached and alternatives considered.
- Proactively researching new standards or standard amendments and provide appropriate updates and guidance to the Finance and Business Teams.
- Developing new, and enhancing existing, accounting treatment guides to provide practical application to Finance and non-finance users.
- Supporting the assessment of potential acquisitions, divestitures and company organisation restructuring by providing guidance on appropriate accounting and disclosure impacts.
- Researching, documenting and educating the appropriate members of the finance team on changes to the regulatory framework for the local legal entity financial statements including UK Companies Act requirements, Financial Reporting Council announcements and amendments to FRS 101.
Semi Annual Reporting:
- Working proactively with stakeholders to prepare the commitments and contingencies schedules and collating information on potential derivatives and guarantees and assess the appropriate accounting or disclosure treatment.
- Key focal point and coordinator for the exploration asset impairment review; proactively working with multiple stakeholders to plan and prepare impairment reviews. Working with the Asset Managers to review the indicators and prepare related calculations, memos and supporting documentation. As and when necessary, assess and document the write-off of drilling costs.
Legal Entity Reporting:
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the accounting disclosures in the local legal entity financial statements.
- Liaising with external auditors to reach alignment on accounting treatments and disclosures as necessary.
- Responsible for undertaking the review of the investment in subsidiaries in the separate financial statements and calculating and documenting any related impairments.
- Utilising strong analytical skills complete routine and ad hoc reporting requests as part of a team providing high quality divisional reporting.
- Vacation cover for other team members and workload balancing across the team is a key part of supporting a strong teamwork life balance. This also provides opportunities for cross training and learning across the team.
- Presenting and training others to share knowledge and expertise across the team.
- Stepping up to organise and Facilitate Team updates and community volunteer events.
- Ensure adherence to all relevant SOX controls.
- Ad-hoc projects and other work assigned to the role.
- Support the Company’s cultural beliefs.
Applicants to this role require
- A qualified accountant with a strong technical grounding in IFRS and some experience in research.
- Able to demonstrate leadership, initiative and be naturally inquisitive.
- A highly effective communicator who will be able to adapt their style to different audiences at all levels in the organisation including being able to summarise, communicate and explain at a high level.
- Strong attention to details qualities and self-review.
- A quick learner with a structured approach to problem solving.
- Have a flexible working style, able to adapt to changing environments and priorities.
- Previous experience working within an accountancy practice is preferred.
- Oil and gas experience preferred.
What’s in it for me? (the applicant)
- Excellent career and development opportunity.
- Flexible and hybrid working.
- 9-day fortnight.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
TMM Recruitment INDFIN
Receive information on the latest job opportunities by email. Subscribing to our job alert service is convenient and easy.Sign Up Now
Great recruitment is all about the people you work with. We take the work we do for you, not ourselves, really seriously.Our Team